Monday, March 8, 2010

The Ryman Auditorium


When I think of a southern icon, I can't help but think of the country music at the Ryman Auditorium in downtown Nashville. The auditorium began as a large church in downtown Nashville. In 1943, it became the home of the Grand Ole Opry, a live show that was broadcast over the radio every week. The Grand Ole Opry became famous as the best country music radio show and the home of country music. In the 1970s, the show was moved to a new home, but it still plays at the Ryman for a few months each year.

I have seen multiple shows at the Ryman. The auditorium is a perfect size;
it is just small enough so that you feel close to the stage regardless of where you are sitting. The last show that I saw there was a Christmas show by Alan Jackson. Looking back, I find it ironic that the show was of a country singer singing gospel songs in an old church famous for its country music. I think this shows how closely related country and gospel music really are.


No comments:

Post a Comment