Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pizza Hut




A few years ago, a Pizza Hut opened in my hometown of Franklin, Tennessee just a few miles away from my home. I was excited, because I love pizza.

So, fast forward to two years later. The "historic committee" of my town somehow got the information that an army general *may* have died on the Pizza Hut land. Note that this was highly speculative because they didn't have much land and there really wasn't anything to distinguish this land from the land 500 feet away from it. So what did the historic committee do? Well they forced Pizza Hut out of course. They demolished the building and built an old style fence around the property with a little sign next to the street.

I think this is a great example of when the reminiscence of the Old South goes too far. The fact that we have a group of people that just get together and decide that what parts of the town do not properly emulate the Old South image seems to be too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment