Monday, March 8, 2010

The Romantic South


"Gone With the Wind" is one of the most famous southern movies of its time and still remains that way today. When I think about "Gone With the Wind" I see the romantic south, the southern gentlemen suitors looking for love in the southern bell. I think most girls from the south wish that they were Scarlett, courted by every man imaginable, having whatever her heart desires. The idea of men chasing after you is very appealing to girls, every girl wants to be wanted and I think that is one of the reasons women love this movie. It gives hope that the romanticism of the south still exists and that it continues to exist today.

This picture tells me so much more than what the name of the movie is. It tells me that there is love and passion in the south, that the beauty and serenity of the country engulfs you and that love is one of the greatest things you can find.

I believe that whenever people look at the image, they see the South. This movie has been a southern icon ever since it was released. The love and passion of the movie gives the audience the idea that that is what the south is truly like. I love this icon because of the idea of the southern gentleman and the southern bell. I will admit that I do wish I were a southern bell, being laid on hand and foot, falling in love, and everything that comes with it.

Whenever people think of southern movies, "Gone With the Wind" is one of the first to pop up. It is a classic that will always be there to remind us of what people perceive and idealize the south the be like. Personally, I would love to be apart of the south that has the gentleman, the hopeless romantic who pursues the woman he can't live without. The romantic south is one that I believe most girls want to be apart of. Maybe it is true for some parts of the south and not for other, I am not really sure, but nonetheless, the icon still holds a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment