Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

There are many movies that portray southern stereotypes, but one of my favorites is Sweet Home Alabama. I personally have never lived or submersed myself into Alabamian culture, but if I did I honestly think that it might correlate with the stereotypes seen throughout the movie. That is my stereotype of Alabama, whether it is true or not.

Even in the trailer for the movie, many southern stereotypes can be pointed out. The way that southerners view the north, the reenactment of battles fought in the south, the concept of having babies in a bar, rodeo type dances and the great outdoors filled with mosquitoes, all some type of southern stereotype, come into play throughout the movie. This movie is filled with southern stereotypes that can be followed closely throughout the movie. As soon as Melanie (Reese Witherspoon) leaves the north, the way she acts and her identity completely changes. There is an enormous difference between the north and south in this movie and is portrayed very distinctly. This shows the effect that the northern and southern cultures have on people and how they can change the way they act and talk.

The trailer, as seen below, incorporates many southern stereotypes in order to draw in the audience and show the portrayal of the southern culture.


Sweet Home Alabama is one of my favorite movies. Maybe it is because it is a romantic love story, I am not really sure, regardless, I will watch it over and over. I find the southern humor relatable, even being from the south. I was not offended by its assumptions, even though they could have been directed towards me and my background. This movie does correlate with some of the stereotypes even I, a native southerner, think of when referring to Alabama. These may or may not be true, but if I, someone who lives in the south, thinks of those things, then non-southerns are definitely going to think the same. This movie portrays many typical southern stereotypes, from the way people talk and dress to how they view the north. But that is not why i love the movie. Most of all, it has an interesting and amusing southern plot, funny scenes, with a happy ending. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment