Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Southern Accents

Everyone knows the stereotype of the slow southern drawl. But how common is it really? In my southern hometown, far less than half of the people I knew had what would be considered a southern accent. In fact, a large percentage of my high school was born outside of the south. I never even felt conditioned to the southern accent, if I heard someone with a heavy accent it would sound strange to me.

Of course, Tech is even more of a counterexample for the accent stereotype. Hearing Asian languages or accents is far more common than hearing a southern drawl. As the south is becoming more connected globally, we are seeing a disappearance of these stereotypical properties (which in some cases may have never existed at all).



Paula Deen embodies many southern stereotype, specifically that of the accent. Yet, if I heard her talking on the streets of Atlanta, it would sound very odd to me. I think this shows that in many places, the southern accent is a thing of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment